Tuesday, July 15, 2008

FEEDER ENTRY 5

What Makes People Happy?

Today from 2pm to 6pm I had English class with my Intermediate students. During the Speaking section, we talked about what makes people happy. So, I asked my class what would make them happy. I got all sorts of replies from my students (mind you that they are all between 18 and 22 years old). Some of their interesting responses were SEX, MONEY, LOVE, SUCCESS, POPULARITY, etc.

It was just yesterday that my office roommate asked us that same question, too. And I said SEX. At that time, yeah...I was thinking that if I had sex (like at that moment) I would be happy and not to mention satisfied (not to forget that in order to be happy with the sex, you have to reach climax...hmm...do you?).

But then again, when I asked the question to myself today, it seemed like there are many other things that I have not had that if I do, would make me very very happy. Let me just share what are some things that would fulfill my happiness.

  1. Two more sons
  2. M. Ed TESL completion
  3. Recruited as a lecturer in a public university
  4. Pay hike of at least RM 500
  5. BMW X5 or the new BMW 5 Series
  6. Strike the Jackpot lottery
  7. Winning 1st prize in the 4D with a minimum buy of RM 10
  8. Much bigger house with at least 8 rooms and 4 bathrooms
  9. Travelling to where ever I want with my family
  10. A pair of very good hearing aid for my daughter
  11. With the hearing aid then she'd be able to speak properly
  12. Financial freedom
  13. A "rich" (not desperate) housewife
  14. Progressing and growing online business
  15. Publishing my first book
  16. Presenting my first research paper at a conference
  17. Migrating "temporarily" to either Canada, Australia or New Zealand
  18. A much bigger kitchen with both wet and dry ones
  19. A much slimmer figure (haha, isn't that so obvious?)
  20. Dual coloured hair

And the list goes on and on. If I were to list all the things that make me happy, I believe it would take me ages to complete my list. Or maybe I would not be able to complete the list at all. Why? Because as I go through every day, I am pretty sure that I would come across different things that would make me happy. And what's the use? Most of the time we list down things that we want to get. And we say that once we have it we'd be happy. But are we?

So, after class, I sat down in my office room and I pondered upon the question. And my answer is even without all the 20 things I managed to write above, I AM ALREADY HAPPY. I am happy that my marriage is good. I am happy that I have a wonderful loving patient man as a husband. I am happy I have four beautiful, bright, physically perfect children. I am happy that I have a house to live in. I am happy that I have a car to drive in to work everyday. I am happy that I am able to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am happy that I have been to Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines, Japan, Australia and America for holidays. I am happy that I have a fulltime, paid job. I am happy that I am in my 4th (final) semester for my masters. I am happy that I am a bit overweight but healthy. I am happy that I can blog. I am happy that I drink at least 2.5 litres of water per day. To cut a long list short, I am happy and thankful for everything that I have today. Most of all, I thank God for allowing me to have the life that I have now.

Alhamdulillah. Subhanallah. Masyaallah. Ameen.

No comments: